We got the 12 page report from Elizabeth’s psychologist this morning. The results are not surprising but I’m still in shock for some reason. She’s been diagnosed with F84.0 Autism Spectrum Disorder with accompanying language impairment and F88 Global Developmental Delay.
She’s considered an ASD level 2 for social communication and level 3 for restricted/repetitive behaviors. Her overall average developmental age is 12 months (she’s almost 32 months) which explains why her almost 13 month old little sister seems more mature than her at times.
Stephen and I have been planning to go back to the psychologist for a follow-up but now I’m not sure. The report is very thorough and includes twenty-two recommendations at the end; it includes books to read, how we should proceed with things like school and therapies, and government interaction. I don’t know that there is a need for a follow-up. It’s not covered by insurance so it’s a $300 decision. If it’s not needed, we may not go. Stephen and I are going to sit down together and read the whole thing together before making a decision.
I’ve been feeling quite anxious about her language/speech yet I don’t know what to do. She needs in-home therapy but we would have to move north of the city to be close enough to any therapists who offer that, and we cannot move at this time.
– frustrated and a little sad